Additional Elective Courses in Writing and Rhetoric
The Program in Writing and Rhetoric offers several elective courses every quarter that invite students to build on the skills they developed in PWR 1 and PWR 2, further developing their strategies of writing, rhetoric, and oral communication in a range of genres and modes. These courses do not fulfill the WR-1 or WR-2 university requirements.
These elective courses align with one of the following thematic tracks:
Cultural Rhetorics. Note: All Cultural Rhetorics courses fulfill requirements for earning a Notation in Cultural Rhetorics (NCR).
Science Communication. Note: All Science Communication courses fulfill requirements for earning a Notation in Science Communication (NSC).
Digital Media and Visual Communications.
Questions about these courses? Write us at email@example.com.
- PWR 91NSC: Introduction to Science Communication (open to all; required of NSC students) Instructor: Jennifer Stonaker. TTh 11:30AM-1:15PM. Science Communication track.
- PWR 91HT: Telling Your Story as Counterstory: The Rhetoric of Critical Race Theory. Instructor: Harriett Jernigan. MW 1:30-3:15PM. Cultural Rhetorics track.
- PWR 99A: Portfolio Preparation I (required of NSC students). Instructor: Emily Polk. Mondays 4-5PM. Science Communication track.
- PWR 194EP: Introduction to Environmental Justice: Perspectives on Race, Class, Gender, and Place. Instructors: Emily Polk and Sibyl Driver. MW 11AM-1PM. Science Communication track.
Also see Autumn 2021 elective courses from the Oral Communication Program.
- PWR 91OID: Creating Your Digital Self. Instructors: Jennifer Stonaker and Helen Chen. TTh 11:30AM-1:00PM
- PWR 99B: Portfolio Preparation II (required of NSC students) Instructor: Emily Polk. Schedule TBD. Science Communication track.
- PWR 194AV: Drawn from Life: The Power of True Stories in Autobio Comics Instructor: Angela Becerra Vidergar TTh 11:30AM-1:15PM
- PWR 194MF: In the Margins of the Laboratory Notebook: Race, Gender and the Rhetoric of Science. Instructor: Meg Formato TTh 11:30AM-1:15PM. Science Communication track.
- PWR 194NCR: Introduction to Cultural Rhetorics. Instructors: Adam Banks and Zandra Jordan. Schedule TBD. Cultural Rhetorics track.
- PWR 91SP: Doctors' Stories: The Rhetoric of Illness and Healing. Instructor: Sarah Pittock. MW 9:30-11:15AM. Science Communication track.
- PWR 99A: Portfolio Preparation I (required of NSC and NCR students) Instructor: Emily Polk. Mondays 4-5PM. Science Communication track.
- PWR 194KTA: Race, Misogyny, and the Law. Instructor: Kathleen Tarr. TTh 3:30-5:15PM. Cultural Rhetorics track.