PWR 1 Studio
Do you come from a background where you grew up speaking or writing in a language other than or in addition to English? If so, you may be interested in applying for PWR’s Studio for multilingual writers, a 1-unit credit/no credit companion course for your PWR 1, ESF, or ITALIC 95W section. In the Studio, you'll continue to develop writing strategies to help you become a more confident writer, both in your writing class and in other contexts.
What is the Studio?
The PWR Studio (PWR 1WS) is a productive space where you and other multilingual student writers can practice writing strategies you can use in PWR 1, 2, and beyond. With a focus on group workshopping and individual consultations, the Studio is a 1-unit, credit/no credit course that you take in the same quarter as your PWR 1, ESF, or ITALIC writing section. The Studio has no required coursework or outside-of-class assignments.
In the Studio, you'll work in collaboration with your instructor and a community of other multilingual first-year writers on developing strategies essential to writing situations in PWR 1 and beyond, such as:
- developing your writing style
- interpreting and acting on assignment prompts and instructor feedback
- reading texts critically
- developing your brainstorming and drafting process
- finding, evaluating, and managing sources
- organizing a long essay
- improving your research and revision strategies
When is the Studio next offered?
- Fall quarter 2022 Tuesdays 1:30pm-2:50pm, with Dr. Jennifer Johnson - Application opens September 2 and closes September 22 at 5pm -- Results emailed by 5PM on September 23
- Winter quarter 2023: Wednesdays 1:30pm-2:50pm with Dr. Norah Fahim - Application opens December 7 and closes January 5 at 5PM
- Spring quarter 2023: Thursdays 9:30am-11:00am with Dr. Tesla Schaeffer - Application opens March 3 and closes March 17 -- Results emailed March 21
How do I apply?
When you apply to the Studio, you will be asked to respond to a short series of questions, including:
- Describe your identity as a multilingual writer. Tell us about your experience writing/speaking in more than one language. (200 words max)
- Explain why you would like to enroll in the PWR 1 Studio. What would you like to learn? (200 words max)
The winter application cycle is now open and will close on Thursday, January 5 at 5PM.
Questions? Email email@example.com